Monday, October 5, 2009

Statutory Warning: Don’t swap your 30 year Old Bike for a brand new Kinetic Honda- By Patroz Palal

Let me admit it – it was my mistake! Never should anyone swap an old bike with a brand new Kinetic Honda. And if you did swap your old Yezdi, thinking that you have profited from the deal. You are wrong – miserably wrong!

It just happened to me few months back. I started losing fetish for my Yezdi. More so because of its rugged nature, falling parts, unfriendly gear shaft and what not. It had by the time spent more than 30 years in this universe. Served my dad and then me, like an old servant whom you come across in some of the Bungalows.

It occurred to me that it was time to bid farewell with my (Sorry ours! - Dad would have snubbed me for denouncing his ownership) Yezdi. More so because, I started seeing girls from shadi.com, and it would have been awkward to drive into their homes, with a bike that reminds yesteryears and not youth.

Prem was always in love with my Yezdi, to the extent that he often used to pick it up on some pretext. I decided to check with Prem. As they say ‘Murphy Laws’ strikes at the wrong time. Prem had just then purchased a two wheeler – a brand new Kinetic Honda. I still decided to check with him, since he always fascinated my old war machine.

The deal was simple – we swap our vehicles, use it for next 1 year. When my onsite project assignment kicks off – likely to happen after a year, I return the kinetic Honda, pick my Yezdi, ground it in my backyard and move to States! It was Win-Win situation.

Few days later, Amma showed me few of snaps of a girl. Beautiful and charming. She was a software engineer from a well to do family. From some reference, I found out that she was known as the ‘Kine Girl’ at her college. Her fascination for her Kinetic Honda earned that name. And here I am - A Software guy with a brand new kinetic Honda, decent & smart. I fascinated a ‘Kine’ – ‘Kine’ fraternity flowering out.

Thanks a Ton Prem, for this swap deal, I said to myself.

I decided to drive in on the 'Kine', on the faithful day, to her house. That was despite of Amma’s preference for a rent–a–car. The day arrived, I drove into her house on my ‘Kine’, with mom riding pillion. Peeping thru second floor of window, she saw us edging thru the narrow gate. Quite a struggle. But it helped both of us to see each other for atlest few minutes. I could see a curious face in hers.

Something went wrong, we could figure out. Her mom said she hadn’t returned from the special class …..and “Blah, Blah”. But I had seen her, my mind protested. But words didn’t corporate. The alliance fell apart, before it allied! We left home on some pretence.

Few months later – I saw Prem at the supermarket. I called him out. I apologized for not attending his wedding. I had to gone for a short visit to the client site, therefore couldn’t attend his wedding. Prem was an understanding buddy. Dindt make fuzz out of it.

Prem told me an interesting story – that my Yezdi had brought him good fortune in the form a beautiful wife. It seems his wife chose him for his ‘rugged’ looks. Actually, the Yezdi had camouflaged his butter looks and gave a ‘Ruf-an-Tough’ outlook. My wife hates Boys riding on two wheelers that have feminine looks –such as Kinetics and Scotys.- Added Prem

Thanks a Ton Govind, for this swap deal, Prem told me.

The Chit chats went smooth until that happened. Prem called up his wife who by then had finished her billing chores at the counter. “Sruthi … this is my friend Govind. He is the one with whom I swapped our Kinetic with…. I could see the same girl whom at missed meeting on the faithful day- The same curiosity.. the same charm. Both of us smiled at each other, without any hesitation. ….cause that was our second encounter .

It was drizzling outside the supermarket… the Yezdi took time to work up. I did help Prem,to kickstart ‘his’ Yezdi and Life, once again.

I pulled out a pack of Goldflake Kings, it was written: Statutory Warning: Smoking is harmful. ?? Noooo it should have written Statutory Warning: Don’t swap your 30 year Old Bike for a brand new Kinetic Honda! I heard myself mumbling the words.

The drizzling thinned to drips … slowly oozing out from fiber sheet, outside the supermarket.

I could see the blue sky …. Life is still beautiful isn’t it ? I got to go! Amma is waiting for the next alliance, post lunch !!!- Did some tell me that … or was that telepathy???

No comments:

Post a Comment